Learn how to prevent hearing loss in old age with our comprehensive guide. Discover simple lifestyle changes and practical tips to protect your ears.
Hearing loss is a common issue that impacts many individuals as they age. This problem is particularly prevalent in Singapore due to the high proportion of elderly citizens. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to prevent or minimize the loss of hearing in old age.
Hearing health practical tips
Here are some practical tips that you can implement to maintain your hearing health:
- Protect your ears from loud noises from concerts, construction sites, and machinery, which can injure your ears and cause hearing loss over time. We recommend using earplugs or earmuffs when exposed to loud noises. Additionally, you can limit your exposure to loud noises by turning down the volume on your television, radio, or music player.
- Quit smoking. Smoking has been linked to hearing loss. The chemicals in cigarettes and tobacco can cause damage to the sensitive hair cells in your inner ear, which leads to hearing loss. If you are a smoker, quitting smoking can improve your hearing health.
- Manage your health conditions because certain conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease, can increase the risk of hearing loss. By managing these conditions, you can lower your risk of hearing loss. Furthermore, some medications can also cause hearing loss, so you must talk with your doctor if you take any prescriptions that may affect your hearing.
- Regular exercise can improve blood flow to the ears, which will help maintain your hearing health. Additionally, exercise can lower the risk of developing health conditions that lead to hearing loss, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Eat a healthy diet. A healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals can help maintain your hearing health. Some nutrients that are particularly important for hearing include vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium, and zinc. Incorporating foods such as leafy greens, nuts, fruits, and fish can help ensure you get these essential nutrients.
- Practice good ear hygiene. Keeping your ears clean and dry can help to prevent infections and other issues that can lead to hearing loss. It is crucial to avoid inserting objects such as cotton swabs or hairpins into your ears, as this can push wax and debris further into the ear canal and cause damage. Instead, you can clean your ears gently with a warm washcloth or use an earwax removal kit under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
- Get your hearing tested. Regular hearing tests can detect hearing loss early, allowing you to initiate early treatment. It is recommended that individuals over the age of 50 get their hearing tested at least once every two years. In Singapore, Listening Lab offers hearing tests. Our hearing health professionals provide the best service for our clients, especially seniors.
Hearing loss can be prevented or minimized by taking practical steps to maintain hearing health. By protecting your ears from loud noises, quitting smoking, managing your health conditions, exercising regularly, and getting your hearing tested, you can reduce your risk of hearing loss and enjoy better hearing as you age.
Visit Listening Lab Singapore and book an appointment with our reliable audiologist to receive proper advice on treatment options. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 6817 5100.
About The Listening Lab
Listening Lab is a home-grown company whose mission is to help our clients restore their hearing to enjoy the life that they desire. Experiencing hearing loss can be detrimental to one’s quality of life. Hence we commit to providing high-quality hearing solutions.
If hearing aids are required, clients can choose from a variety of the best hearing aid brands we provide. Each of the products offers unique features that complement daily use and perform well in helping our clients enjoy the life that they desire.